

This past weekend I was in Mobile for my friend Emily Zelenka's wedding. Other than my mommy, no one else in my family felt that I was important enough to come home to see. Saturday, me and my mom get ready for the wedding and head to St. Dominic's. The entire 10 minute car ride there, my mom is complaining about how her Spanx are rolling down and that maybe they aren't the right size and blah, blah, blah; so, like any good child would do, I turn the radio up and tune her out. As we are getting out of the car, I can see my mom quickly adjust her dress on the other side of the car, but I think nothing of it.
We are seated at the church, and as I am watching Emily walk down the aisle and my mom taps me on the shoulder. I thought that she was going to say how beautiful Emily looked or something along those lines. Instead, my mom whispers "Katie, these Spanx are seriously rolling down; they are almost to my knees!" I hiss back to her "Mom, shhhh, go to the bathroom and take them off then; I am trying to watch the ceremony!!!" Emily and Brandon have now said their 'I Do's', and we are in the aisle walking up to receive communion. My mom keeps tapping my shoulder, and out of respect to God, I ignore her. I do happen to take a quick glance over my shoulder to see my mom waddling behind me (her Spanx really must have rolled down to her knees). I turn to her and just roll my eyes. As soon as the ceremony is over, my mom has disappeared, and I assume she has gone to the restroom to take care of her little "problem". I am chatting with my friend, Michelle and her family, as my mom walks out looking distressed saying "Those Spanx were about 5 sizes too small, I think I got mine confused with Micki's!!!"
The entire walk over to the reception I jokingly mock my mom and told her that she should have realized before we left the house that those were not the right size Spanx. My mom hands me a beer and tells me to quit talking about it. At the reception, I am catching up with my old friends (since Kindergarten), Chelsea and Michelle, and Michelle decides she wants a picture of the 2 of us. She hands her camera to her boyfriend, Shane, and I stand up to walk over to her. As I take a step toward her, my feet come out from under me, I slide a few feet and end up on the floor somewhere between the bride's cake and the groom's cake. At this point, I am mortified, and as Michelle's dad rushes over to help me, I notice my mom still sitting in her chair DYING LAUGHING. Michelle's dad, Mr. Tom, assures me that noone except their table saw, and Michelle includes that it was the most graceful slip and at least I didn't expose myself. After much reassurance, I am finally convinced that it was not as big of a deal as it seemed and am once again enjoying the reception. 20 minutes or so later, I suddenly hear "Hey Katie!" from behind me, and Jessica Crabtree is cracking up saying "NICE FALL! I think the whole place saw that!" So, needless to say, like mother, like daughter; both my mom and myself managed to be trainwrecks and embarrass ourselves. I hope we didn't ruin your wedding Emily!!
No comments:
Post a Comment