Don't take the title the wrong way, I am not that conceited...
Last weekend, my friend Charlie, her sister Jordan, and Jordan's friend, Jami, were in NYC visiting me for Jordan's 21st birthday. We had just finished getting ready and were about to leave for the big Yankees Mets game, when I looked around and said "aww ya'll look so pretty." Their only response was an unenthusiastic "thanks." Not that I was fishing for a compliment or anything, but most people would generally have said a "you too." I was used to this sort of behavior, however, because my little sister, Micki, refuses to pay me any sort of compliment; I was beginning to think that it probably was just me. So, I made a mental note for Monday to research ways I could better alter my appearance other than liposuction (my grandmother has rejected my loan application for this plastic surgery numerous times).
The next evening we are leaving my apartment for a nice dinner at Pastis and a night out on the town, and I turn to my friends and tell them how pretty they look. Again, they simply said "thanks", but this time I didn't let them off so easily; I command "Now, tell me I look pretty!" They get a good laugh out of it and off we go. Later in the evening, we end up at Gatsby's, a fun bar in SOHO. We are having a nice time fist-pumping and just being patriotic in general(chanting USA! USA! for the World Cup); so, I tap the guy next to me on the shoulder and ask him to capture this moment by taking a picture of Charlie and I. As soon as he turns around, Charlie and I both whisper to one another how creepily this guy resembles Joran Van Der Sloot. Being 6 vodka cranberries and somewhere between 3 to 7 shots deep, I am convinced that the guy holding my camera is Joran Van Der Sloot and that I am about to be abducted. Since she is the married, logic one, Charlie reminds me that Joran is in jail in Peru and that there is no possible way that he is in this bar in SOHO holding my camera. So, after Charlie's reassurance, we turn back around and poise for the picture. After taking it, I confidently ask Joran "Did I look pretty?" His response, "beautiful." Inebriated and flirting with a potential serial killer, the lengths I go to to finally be paid a compliment...
See above photo of Charlie, Joran, and I... Admit it, you would have been scared too.
OH WOW!! I think you are real pretty! The best part about this is, I read it like a real book and was waiting for someone to respond..."you are pretty!"
ReplyDelete